Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

Okay, so I've been hearing so much about about the benefits of an apple cider vinegar rinse on natural hair. It is meant to remove buildup from the hair, help to keep the cuticle from lifting, and promote hair health.

Blogger KCurly of Newly Natural has had good experiences with an ACV and water rinse. See her review here: http://newlynatural.com/blog/2009/01/apple-cider-vinegar-acv-rinse/

And the fabulous Autumn of Curly Chronicles tried it too (subscribe to her youtube!)



So when I came across some in my fridge, I decided to give it a try. I mixed 1 part apple cider vinegar with two parts water, and poured the mixture over my freshly shampooed and conditioned hair. I didn't like the smell, but it definitely removed buildup from my hair. But for me, it made my hair way too dry. I didn't experience any of the increased manageability or ease of detangling. It was the opposite. I rinsed it out and added some conditioner, before braiding my wet hair in two cornrows for the night.

When I took it out this morning, it as a disaster. A huge dry frizzy mess. I didn't even take any pictures because I couldn't WAIT to rinse it out and slather on my Suave Almond and Shea butter conditioner!

I think this goes to show that something that works well on one head of hair, may not work on the next. Trial and error will show you what products your hair really loves, and lead you to a happy, healthy mane!

No comments:

Post a Comment