Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Natural LADY of the Week: Stephelise

This week, I'd like to introduce you to the beautiful Stephelise-- we did our BC just weeks apart. Thanks for being a fotki companion on this journey!



When and why did you go natural?


I transitioned from relaxed to natural for 13 mths and I did my Big Chop on April 22, 2010. I decided to go natural because I was tired of getting relaxers. I was increasingly becoming bored with the same look all the time and I hated that my hair looked so thin after a fresh relaxer. By going natural I was able to take control of my hair health and be free from being dependent on a chemical to make my hair look a certain way.



What is your current regimen?

I normally wash/cowash my hair at least once a week sometimes 2x depending on buildup. I make sure I DC (deep condition) at least once a week. I also try to keep some type of protein in my regimen because my fine strands require it. I apply my leave in either a creamy or liquid form, moisturize with curl activator lotion such as Carefree Curl Gold, use a shea butter mixture and then seal with an oil like castor oil.



What are the 3 products you can't do without?

Well certainly water for starters. I also need my castor oil if I had to choose one and then some gel. I think I could make it if I had to with just these items.

What is your natural hair goal?

I have a bunch of short term goals or milestones as I call it. One is for me to be able to pull all my hair into a ponytail. I then want to be able to have a huge curly puff. Next, I want to be able to put it in a decent sized bun. And lastly, I want my hair to be bsb (below shoulder blade) length unstretched.



Anything you'd like to add? Inspiration for transitioners or those considering going natural?


I would say that if you are not interested in doing a BC, then transitioning is definitely the way to go. For me this was crucial in helping me to get used to manipulating and styling my own hair.




It also helps you to find out what your hair likes and dislikes as far as products. As with anything, make sure you do your research by way of hair boards, YouTube, fotki and/or Facebook. There is a wealth of knowledge out there to help you along your journey. Importantly, use your transition time to have fun by experimenting with different styles. It comes in handy when you finally do BC.

Would you like to be featured? E-mail us at ladiesofreggae@hotmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment